Tuesday, October 20, 2009

sixty-nine; Justin, Specialized Mountain Bike


I taught performance-poetry workshops at his former high school,
Needles to say, he was bent left before he moved to the bay,
Three years of protests resembling parties (and parties resembling protests),
he’s growing disillusioned.
Jürgen Habermas spoke of two stages of the democratic public,
first, active, united and relevant voting community,
second, an apathetic couch-potato democracy, where no acts with trust or solidarity.
He stopped trusting limousine liberals when his first bike was stolen in broad, busy daylight,
“I’ve invested $150 in security”
he tells me referencing his bike,
“I’m more conservative now than I ever thought I’d be”

3 comments:

  1. I know you don't like to work your life/ yourself into your entries but I really like the connections you made here. Kudos on incorporating Habermas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's especially funny because the URL of my blogspot is "trackless-mind." I guess it's a miracle I'm able to write anything at all.

    ReplyDelete